Experience & Understanding


Answers to Your Questions About Separation in Ontario

If you are embarking upon separation, you probably have many questions: How should I tell my spouse I want to separate? How will this impact my children? What will happen to our home? At Jason P. Howie, Professional Corporation, we will answer your questions and provide you with legal recommendations based on more than 25 years of family law experience.

Do We Have to Go to Court?

When dealing with separation, no one wants to go to court. Our lawyers understand this and will help you explore all available options to avoid litigation. We will talk you through the steps of a separation agreement, addressing all related legal issues, including child custody and access, spousal support, property division and any other matters specific to your unique circumstances.
If, by using our best negotiation efforts in good faith, you and your spouse are unable to come to an agreement, it may be necessary to have a third party make a decision for you in court. Another instance where litigation may be appropriate is if your spouse creates an emergency situation. For example, if he or she is draining your bank accounts, it may be time to consider going to court.

A Separation Agreement

In Ontario, divorce can follow a separation based on the spouses living separate and apart for one year. A separation agreement is a legal agreement that outlines responsibilities of the parties during the separation. It is important to have an experienced lawyer by your side while crafting a separation agreement. At Jason P. Howie, Professional Corporation, we will make sure your interests are protected during:

  • Disclosure: All relevant information, including all financial information such as debts and business valuations, must be disclosed by both parties.
  • Negotiation: Negotiations should not last longer than 60 days — beyond this period of time, there is likely a fundamental problem that should be addressed in court.

Following a separation, you will need a divorce to legally end your marriage. Often, the terms of your separation agreement will become the terms of your divorce settlement. This is why it is so important to speak with a knowledgeable lawyer from the very start of your separation and divorce proceedings.

Contact Our Experienced Divorce Lawyer in Windsor

To discuss your legal needs with a Windsor separation lawyer, call 519-973-1500 or contact us online. We serve clients in Windsor, Essex County and throughout the region.

Supreme Court to Hear Appeal That May Impact International Child Custody Cases
November 14, 2017
Last year, we blogged about an Ontario Court of Appeal decision that ordere ...
Is Child Support Payable Where an Adult Child Seeks a PhD?
November 10, 2017
Earlier this year, an Ontario court explored the question of whether child ...
Family Responsibility Office Ordered to Pay $7,500 After “Aggressive Enforcement Action” Against Ontario Father
November 3, 2017
Ontario’s Family Responsibility Office (FRO), the entity responsible ...

how can we help you

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm is not secure and does not establish lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

I have read the disclaimer. (*)

Our Office Location

Jason P. Howie, Professional Corporation
420 Devonshire Road
Windsor, ON N8Y 4T6

Serves clients in Windsor, Leamington, Tecumseh, Essex, Chatham-Kent, and throughout South Western Ontario.