Retirement Issues During Separation
Divorce, Support and Retirement
When going through a separation and divorce, your retirement plans may or may not be at the forefront of your mind. No matter how old you are or how close to retirement you may be, it is important to consider how your separation may impact your pension funds and your eventual retirement.
Howie Johnson Barristers & Solicitors is dedicated exclusively to the practice of family law in Ontario. Based on more than 25 years of experience, our lawyers understand the wide range of issues you may face during separation and divorce, and we are prepared to give you strong legal guidance and protection of your rights.
During divorce and separation, several questions commonly arise that can ultimately impact retirement planning such as:
- What will my post-retirement life look like?
- Will I still be able to retire early?
- How will spousal support and pension division be determined? Does one impact the other?
- Will one spouse retain survivorship rights?
- What will happen to my medical benefits and life insurance when I retire?
You can only choose to retire once, so it is important to carefully consider your goals and explore all of your options. At Howie Johnson Barristers & Solicitors, we are here to answer your questions and help you put an effective retirement plan in place through your separation agreement.