Husband, Wife, & Common Law Spouses

Experience & Understanding


Windsor Lawyers Handling Common Law Separation and Divorce

Most married couples never think they will need a family law lawyer; this is especially the case for common law-married couples. However, whether you have been living together for five or 20 years, if you and your partner have decided to separate, it is important to hire legal representation to ensure that your rights are protected.

The general public has a tremendous misconception regarding the difference between married people and common law couples. Most do not realize that when a couple has lived together for a prescribed period of time, they have similar rights to married couples upon separation and divorce. However, “similar” does not mean “the same.”

At Jason P. Howie, Professional Corporation, we handle each separation and divorce on an individual basis, taking the time to understand your needs and goals, and to provide well-informed answers to your questions. Our lawyers and staff are familiar with the nuances of common law separations and divorces.

Common Law Relationships: A Different Approach to Separation

Common law relationships require a different analysis and approach than do marriages. A common law spouse’s property rights are radically different than a legally married spouse’s rights. The length of the common law marriage is generally the main factor considered during property division and when establishing support. To learn more about the laws pertaining to common law couples during separation in Ontario and how they apply to your particular situation, please contact our firm.

Contact Our Essex County Separation Lawyers

To speak with an experienced Windsor lawyer about common law marriage and separation, call 519-973-1500 or contact us online. We serve clients in Windsor, Essex County and throughout the region.

Supreme Court to Hear Appeal That May Impact International Child Custody Cases
November 14, 2017
Last year, we blogged about an Ontario Court of Appeal decision that ordere ...
Is Child Support Payable Where an Adult Child Seeks a PhD?
November 10, 2017
Earlier this year, an Ontario court explored the question of whether child ...
Family Responsibility Office Ordered to Pay $7,500 After “Aggressive Enforcement Action” Against Ontario Father
November 3, 2017
Ontario’s Family Responsibility Office (FRO), the entity responsible ...

how can we help you

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm is not secure and does not establish lawyer-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

I have read the disclaimer. (*)

Our Office Location

Jason P. Howie, Professional Corporation
420 Devonshire Road
Windsor, ON N8Y 4T6

Serves clients in Windsor, Leamington, Tecumseh, Essex, Chatham-Kent, and throughout South Western Ontario.