3 Ways to Take Control of Your Divorce


Many people facing a divorce feel like their lives have spun out of control. Divorce can be devastating, but it doesn’t have to be. Don’t give up the inherent power you have. Here are 3 things you can do to take back control of your life:

1. Take care of yourself

Divorce is not just emotionally hard on you; it can take a physical toll on you as well. People often get depressed, gain or lose weight, and experience a host of other physical ailments as well. But allowing yourself to become physical ill just makes things worse. Take some time for yourself. Remember to eat healthy and exercise. Get enough sleep. Do things that make you happy and ease your stress. Divorce can be a lengthy process, and being in good health can help you get through it less painfully.

2. Talk to a lawyer

You may not think you have enough money to talk to a lawyer, but the cost of not talking to a lawyer can be exponentially higher in the long run. Even if you are unable to afford the most expensive lawyer in town, at least hire a lawyer for a few hours to educate you about divorce. No one should have to go through their divorce without getting the advice they need.

3. Don’t listen to the crazy things your spouse tells you

Although you may want to keep the lines of communication open with your spouse, especially if you have kids, you don’t have to listen to everything he or she says to you. As the saying goes, when you see crazy coming, you need to cross the street. If your spouse starts ranting, telling you horrible things that make your blood boil, you don’t have to listen. You do not have to read angry email rants. You do not have to engage in conversations designed to start a fight. You do not have to listen to everything your spouse says to you.

Taking the time to learn about what you need to know, and taking responsibility for your actions and your future is far from easy, but it can be incredibly empowering.

If you have questions about divorce, please contact experienced family lawyer Jason P. Howie, online or at 519.973.1500.

Family Court Judge Decries Egregious Abuse of Family Court System

a young girl horse jumping

What Is Interim Spousal Support And Am I Entitled To It?

black framed glasses sitting on a notebook

Does Adultery Permit a Spouse to Seek a Larger Equalization Payment?

white pillows and white bedding